Southern Illinois Personal Injury Attorneys
Helping Victims Recover Maximum Compensation!
- 100% Free Consultations & Honest Legal Advice
- Millions of Dollars Recovered for Clients
- You Don’t Pay UNLESS WE WIN Your Case
Call Today For 100% Free Consultation (618) 316-7322
No Office Visits Required! We Can Come To You or Set Up a Free Virtual Consultation!
Southern Illinois Personal Injury
Here at Olson & Reeves, we are personal injury lawyers who understand how incredibly difficult it can be after you’ve been hurt in an accident. These types of injuries can turn a person’s life upside down in a matter of seconds. Lost wages, mounting medical bills, and an overall change to your day-to-day life can be devastating for you and your family. That’s where we come in.
Our personal injury attorneys were born and raised right here in Southern Illinois. We have a commitment to our clients because the people we represent are our neighbors. Our guarantee is that we will never stop fighting for you and we will work tirelessly to ensure we get you maximum compensation for your injuries so that you can move on with your life.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle in Southern Illinois
At Olson & Reeves, we handle a wide range of personal injury cases. If you have any questions about your legal options following a serious injury, contact us to learn more. Below find some of the most common types of personal injury cases Southern Illinois residents encounter:
|Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
|Premises Liability / Slip & Falls
|Police Brutality & Jail Injuries
|Spinal Cord Injuries
|Side By Side Accidents
|Dram Shop / Bar Injuries
Where Our Southern Illinois Personal Injury Law Firm Handles Cases
When you’ve been seriously injured in an accident of any kind, it can feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. In addition to figuring out how you will pay for your medical bills, you could be out of work without steady paychecks coming in. You may start getting behind on your bills. The stress of how you’re going to support yourself and your family. You need help.
If you find yourself googling for “personal injury attorneys near me” you’ve come to the right place. Our experienced legal team of personal injury lawyers represents clients across southern Illinois, including cities like Belleville, O’Fallon, Marion, Carbondale, Mount Vernon, Centralia, Collinsville, and Alton. You can feel secure knowing that you have a personal injury lawyer nearby. While we represent injured clients anywhere in Illinois, some of the most common counties we travel to are:
|St. Clair County
Why You Should Hire Olson & Reeves, Personal Injury Attorneys
- Over 98% Success Rate – We have a record of winning injury cases. So, you know if we take your case, you’re in winning hands.
- Lowest Fee Guarantee” – All Personal Injury Attorneys work off a contingency fee basis. We guarantee we’ll be the lowest, which puts more money in our client’s pockets.
- Access To Your Attorney – When we become your Car Accident attorney, you’ll actually be able to talk to your lawyer. No frequent calls with no response. Our injury clients get calls back ASAP.
- We Hate Bullies – Insurance Companies try to take advantage of those that have been injured. We don’t let them. We go to War against the insurance companies daily. We make sure you get what you deserve.
Still Not Sure? Listen To Our Former Clients!
- Matthew W. – “This firm is highly recommended!! They are professional, efficient, and polite! The firm keeps you updated step by step and explains the process clearly!! Sydney is just plain awesome!! Love these guys!”
- Heather M. – “They are amazing! I contacted them and they responded immediately! Kept me updated through the whole process! I will always recommend them and use them in the future!”
- Johnnie T. – “They were honest with us from the start and really gave us every option they could think of. They took their time and really listened to the whole story. I would highly recommend them!”
- Chad H. – “Best results that I ever had from an attorney! Highly Recommend!”
- Heather M. – “Josh was amazing! He cared about my concerns and made me feel comfortable. I cannot recommend Olson and Reeves enough for anyone needing an attorney.”
- Rita S. – “Very friendly, cared about me as a person. Great communication.”
Check Out All Of Our Google Reviews Here!
Proven Results: Recent Southern Illinois Personal Injury Victories
We don’t just talk a big game. We get results. We’re ready to get results for you too. Here are some of our recent results for our Southern Illinois car accident clients:
- $755,000 Settlement – Our client was in a car accident in Fayette County, Illinois.
- $250,000 Insurance Policy Limit Settlement – Our client was in a car accident in St. Clair County, Illinois. After trying to handle the case by himself for 18 months, he had an offer of $65,000 on the table. After retaining us, we settled the case within 1 month, getting the maximum policy limit of $250,000.
- Insurance Policy Limit Settlement – Our client was involved in a motorcycle accident after a distracted driver ran into the back of his motorcycle. Thankfully, our client did not have any long-term injuries. He suffered from road rash and soft tissue injuries. We were able to settle his case for the maximum insurance policy limits available.
- Insurance Policy Limit Settlement – Our clients were a husband and wife that were pulled over on the side of the road assisting another vehicle with a flat tire. After getting back into their vehicle, a distracted driver came across into their lane and drove off the road, and caused a head-on collision. After hiring us to handle their car accident case in Wayne County, Illinois, we were able to help them settle both of their cases for the maximum insurance policy limits available.
- Insurance Policy Limit Settlement – Our client was stopped at a stop sign in Mt. Vernon, Illinois. A distracted driver rear-ended her. Our client suffered from whiplash and a shoulder sprain. After trying to negotiate with the insurance company herself and being offered barely enough to cover her medical bills, she hired us. We were able to help her get a settlement for the maximum insurance policy limits available.
- $110,000 Settlement – Our client was a passenger in a passenger vehicle and was involved in a car accident in Mt. Vernon, Illinois.
- $100,000 Settlement – Our client was sideswiped in a car crash near Vandalia, Illinois.
- $45,000 Settlement – Our client was involved in an I-57 car accident in Jefferson County, Illinois. Our client was side-swiped on Interstate 57 after a careless driver did not check his side-view mirror when he changed lanes. Our client was pushed off the road but fortunately, he only sustained soft tissue damage, mainly, a strained neck and shoulder.
What is the Statute of Limitations in Illinois?
Under the Illinois Code of Civil Procedure, specifically 735 ILCS 5/13-202, if you have a personal injury claim you normally have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. The time limit to file begins running at the time the injury is suffered. However, there are exceptions to this, such as the “discovery rule.”
The “discovery rule” allows a personal injury lawsuit to be filed within a time limit after the injury was discovered or should have been discovered. An example of this may be in a medical malpractice case where the patient was unaware of a medical error until it’s later discovered.
A statute of limitations may be “tolled” or simply paused for a specific time period. This occurs if the injured victim was a minor (under the age of 18), or the plaintiff was mentally incompetent at the time of the injury.
Our Southern Illinois personal injury attorneys can help you file a complaint within the appropriate timeline. By failing to file your case within the appropriate timeframe, the court could dismiss your case. This is referred to as dismissed with prejudice, meaning, you will never be able to file a lawsuit for your claim.
Proving Liability In Your Southern Illinois Personal Injury Case
The normal everyday person in Illinois has very little experience with the judicial system. When a personal injury case arises, normal Illinois residents are unsure of the personal injury case process or how Illinois rules of civil procedure work.
In Illinois, in order to recover compensation, the injured party must prove that the defendant was negligent. The “burden of proof” lies with the plaintiff. Anyone who has ever watch a TV show or movie about lawyers has definitely heard the term “beyond a reasonable doubt.” “Beyond a reasonable doubt” is the standard of proof in a criminal case, however, in Illinois personal injury cases, the burden of proof is “preponderance of evidence” which is just a legal way of saying more likely than not, or 51% likely.
In order to meet this burden of proof the injured party must prove the following elements:
- Defendant owed the injured party a “duty” or legal obligation of reasonable care
- Defendant breached this duty or violated this legal obligation.
- The plaintiff suffered injuries as a result of the defendant’s actions.
- The injured party incurred actual damages, this can include medical expenses, property damage, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
If you or a loved one was injured due to the actions of another, we may be about to help! Call our Southern Illinois Personal Injury Attorneys today to discuss your options and any questions you have in proving your case.
How Much is my Southern Illinois Personal Injury Case Worth?
This is by far the most commonly asked question we get and almost always at the initial consultation. The answer however is not simple. The value of your personal injury claim depends on a variety of factors. Some of those factors include:
- How long did it take you to recover?
- How much time have you missed from your job?
- Can you continue to work?
- Is this injury permanent?
- The circumstances surrounding your case
- Is it possible to recover punitive damages?
- Emotional damages
- Your economic damages, such as medical bills
These are just some of the factors that a personal injury attorney will look at when evaluating the value of your particular case. To help you get a better understanding of the value of your case, we would love for you to reach out to us today to discuss your current situation with our Southern Illinois personal injury lawyers.
Will Having a Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyer Increase My Chances of Success?
Insurance companies like to play games. They do everything possible to save themselves money and will pull out every trick possible to ensure they don’t have to fairly compensate injured parties. This can include denying legitimate claims of non-at-fault parties, especially if these claims are made by pro se individuals. When you have a personal injury attorney, these insurance companies won’t be as quick to try shady tactics as they know an experienced injury lawyer will know what they are doing and that the insurance company could be on the hook for a bad faith claim.
Personal injury cases are extremely complex, and that’s why attorneys go to college for 7 years to learn their craft. If you needed a new roof on your house, would you do it yourself, or hire a roofer? The same goes for handling complex legal issues, Personal injury attorneys have specialized training and have knowledge of legal procedures and evidentiary rules that can help you maximize your claim.
Insurance companies understand that unrepresented individuals will have a difficult time following proper procedures and proving their claim. The unfortunate truth is that most of the time these individuals end up taking a settlement that is far less than they would have gotten if they had hired a lawyer.
The Insurance Research Council performed a study where they found those car accident victims who hired an attorney received settlements that on average were 40% higher than plaintiffs who represented themselves. So when determining whether you should hire an attorney after a car accident, remember that average settlements are over 3x higher with a lawyer than without one.
Compensation You Can Recover in Your Southern Illinois Personal Injury Case
In Illinois, if you’ve been injured due to the negligence of another, you are entitled to recover compensation for your injury. The idea of compensating a victim of a personal injury case is to help make that person “whole” again. The compensation you can recover in Illinois is referred to as “damages.” Damages are broken down into two categories: Economic and Non-Economic Damages.
Economic Damages are actual financial losses, such as any medical bills or lost wages that are related to your injury. Non-economic damages are not as black and white, and are not as easy to discern. Non-economic damages would include pain and suffering and loss of normal life.
Here are some examples of the types of compensation you may be able to recover in a Southern Illinois Personal Injury case:
- Pain and Suffering
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Normal Life
- Loss of Companionship or Affection
- Wrongful Death
- Car Repairs or Vehicle Replacement Cost
Under Illinois law, those injured as a result of a personal injury case may be able to recover punitive damages. Punitive damages are different from economic and non-economic damages because they are not intended to compensate the victim for a loss, but rather to punish the at-fault party. Punitive damages are not always awarded, as this type of damage is usually given when the defendant is particularly egregious or reckless in their actions or behavior.
- Filing a Lawsuit for Personal Injuries in Southern Illinois
- Demand Packages
- Negotiating a Southern Illinois Personal Injury Settlement
- Personal Injury Case Timeline
- Personal Injury Jury Trials in Southern Illinois
- Commonly Asked Questions
- Do I have a case?
- How much is my case worth?
- Is it worth it to hire a Southern Illinois Personal Injury Attorney?
- Who will be handling my case?
- How much does it cost to hire a lawyer?